Monday, December 24, 2007

Editing digital writing

Since last January I started having students turn in all papers to me online. This year I began blogs in my junior English class. Both options require different means of editing. In both areas I am still trying to find the "right" way to edit and comment in their papers.

For my students that turn their papers in to me online, I attempt to be quite thorough. I try to keep all grammatical/spelling errors highlighted in yellow and all content comments in a red font. I don't always adhere to this rule (sometimes I also make grammar comments in red just because of habit) and though I tell my students that is how they should read my remarks, I am not sure who all listens to that. I think I would like to make grammar and spelling corrections with the highlighter and red comments and perhaps have content comments in some thought provoking color like green or purple. Not sure why I am hung up on color right now but I think if students understand that they can look at it and have things make better sense to them. I do not give them the answers in the grammar/spelling portion - I don't want to do the work for them. Instead I will highlight something and write (spl?) next to it. I do the same with grammar; I will write "run on sentence" or "not a sentence - what is the subject/predicate/action..." Usually, if I read something that does not make sense or is awkward I write, "awkward sentence - have someone read this to you and see if what you wrote is what you intended" Not sure if anyone EVER does that but I like to hope and think that at least a few do this. I must say though, especially the spelling errors, there are so many times that I think - it would be much easier to just correct that myself. Of course I never do that but the thought is there.
For content on the papers I try to pose questions. I play devil's advocate or I throw an idea or thought that was overlooked at them so they can consider that as well. I also, content wise will explain things that they misunderstand so that they remove or alter and strengthen a weak or misguided claim/argument.
I always take rough drafts well before final drafts so that I can go over these things with them. I want them to see that writing is a process (sounds cliche but is true). The students (especially the struggling writers) see that even the "smart kids" are rewriting and it makes them 1) nervous b/c they think "If so-and-so can't get it right then how am I" and 2) relieved because, "Hey, everyone is doing it again to get it right so I am not any different"

In student blogs I keep grammar and spelling completely out of my comments and focus solely on content. I do as I stated above, I pose questions, play devil's advocate, clarify in misguided areas, and just try to make them think at a higher level. I like to keep asking "why" and though they get sick of it - many come to conclusions they would not have reached without probing in the editing.

One thing I have found - this method takes a lot more time. For one - the students like emailing and writing knowing that they will get fast feedback. Also, email and blogging conversations CAN be much more private than a discussion in the classroom. So, since more students like this, I spend more time online responding to students. Also, many of my students use their parent's account to email stuff so I am very aware that parents will read my comments - makes the audience quite different (and again takes more time).

The effectiveness of feedback for my students when they online edit - I think they like getting in to their classmates papers with a different font and making comments. Students don't know who did the purple font versus the green font so the anonymity is safe. When I have students online edit they have certain guided questions (restate the thesis) that they answer on paper that the author can see and I eventually get and score. Then they also comment in the paper. Most students walk away from this with a better picture of where they are. They have read several classmate's papers and can see if they are on the right track or completely missing the boat. When they see several papers it can give them the guidance or reassurance they need to get to work on theirs. I think they get more out of the reading of other's papers than they do the actual comments on the written paper. I do feel though most use the comments in their paper in the other color font to improve their paper. Overall I really enjoy this activity and see improvements in writing as a result of the activity.

No comments: