Monday, December 24, 2007

Good blogs part II

As a scrap booker (yes, I am a huge geek) I have a good idea (or at least I thought I did) about colors and layout. A blog is not that much different than a scrapbook page except in scrapbooks (like yearbooks) the emphasis should be on the pictures and the pictures should tell the story (with some support from text boxes). A blog is different in this respect because the bulk of the material - the emphasis is on the writing with pictures, videos, and links there to support the text. So, the emphasis in a blog is different. I really like that with blogs and all the technology changes taking place that so much more is being written (and recorded, shared, and saved) than ever before.
When I try to think of activities that incorporate all we have learned and all we see in blogs the first I thought of, and one I keep going back to, is having students view various sites online and determine for themselves what makes a good site and what makes a bad site. From this activity they could create sites of their own using the very guidelines they created. Also through doing this, students could easily ascertain how their eyes move and what catches their eyes - they could then use this information to build guidelines for how to develop power points.
I would also really like students to begin adding links to various assignments. Many do not know how to do this so it would not only be a good practice in and of itself - but it would (I think) deter plagiarism a bit if they are putting the actual site in their work. Their PowerPoint's are pretty flat so it would be great to get students to incorporate other skills into their power points. It would be great to have them find examples of great power points/vlogs/photostory and other medias and then create the same story using a few options/tools to determine which works best for what information as well as personal preference. There are a lot of options but I think i all seeing is believing so the first step is to get the students looking and determining what works and what doesn't and why.

No comments: